Flight and airline FAQs

We've answered the most frequently asked questions about flights and airlines below. If your question isn't answered here, check with your airline.

Which terminal does my airline operate from?

To find details of which airlines fly to which destinations go to our interactive route map or visit the airlines and destinations page.

If you are travelling with British Airways, Virgin or easyJet, please be aware that these airlines moved terminals in January 2017

What time does my flight arrive?

Go to our live flight arrivals

When does my flight leave?

Go to our flight departures

How do I check routes and get timetables for flights?

On the Gatwick flight timetable you can select either the scheduled or charter flight timetables or use our interactive route map.

How long before my flight do I need to check in?

  • Long-haul: check-in opens four hours before scheduled departures
  • European: check-in opens three hours before
  • UK and Ireland: check-in opens two hours before

We advise that you arrive at least two hours before your flight to allow plenty of extra time to check-in and pass through security.

How many bags am I allowed?

You should check with your airline or on your ticket for their on-board baggage rules, but for general guidance – in particular about our rules on hand baggage – go to our check-in and security pages.

How do I book special assistance?

Go to our special assistance pages for more information, but please book through your airline or tour operator where possible.

What ID do I need to check in?

If you are travelling internationally, a valid passport is normally required. For some countries your passport will need to be valid for at least six months after your intended return and you may also need a visa.

Before travelling you should check your destination country's entry requirements and allow enough time to renew your passport and/or apply for a visa at the relevant embassy or consulate.

Passports do get lost and although it will take time getting a replacement, you can make life easier by taking photocopies with you. It may also be worth carrying additional photographic ID separate from your passport. For UK citizens – if your passport is lost or stolen you must report it to the UK Passport Service by calling 0871 875 6859.

All travellers to the US wanting to travel on the visa waiver programme now need travel authorisation in advance, in addition to having a machine readable passport. Please complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Electronic System for Travel Authorisation in advance online.

What should I do if my flight into Gatwick is cancelled?

You should contact your airline – see airline contacts

How do I book a flight?

Your first stop should be our book a flight page. Alternatively you can contact your airline.