Where is Gatwick?
Gatwick is located in one of the best connected areas in the UK.
The airport already has the fastest transport links into the centre of London and the financial district plus great connectivity to elsewhere in the UK, allowing all our passengers, whether on business or leisure, to get to wherever they need to go direct from the airport.
Passengers at any airport want to be able to connect easily on the ground, as well as through the air. Gatwick is already well connected by road and rail with:
- A quarter of the entire UK population – and the whole of London – live just 1 hour away
- 2.5 million people half an hour away or less
- Connections to 800 rail stations, 129 of them directly
- Its own dedicated junction on the M23 motorway
Gatwick station upgrade
Gatwick Airport train station is the get a major upgrade with a £120 million redesign transforming the stations and passenger experience. Work will start in 2017 and be completed in 2020 delivering a doubling in size of the station concourse area, more lifts and escalators to improve access to all platforms and intuitive passenger flow.
This major station upgrade will be delivered alongside a significant increase in capacity on rail services through Gatwick, between Brighton and London including:
- New Gatwick Express trains in 2016 and new Thameslink trains by 2018
- Connections to Crossrail at Farringdon in 2019
- New twice hourly direct connections to Peterborough and Cambridge
- A train to central London every 2.5 minutes by 2025
- Quicker journey times to the West End and City, than from Heathrow
- 15 million people brought within 60 minutes of Gatwick
If our future expansion plans are successful, by 2025, Gatwick’s rail capacity would be tripled with double the frequency of trains – the reach of the network will be extended to serve 175 stations directly with more than 1,000 stations reached with only one change. New and longer trains will serve the Gatwick Gateway, a brand new transport hub which will also incorporate more bus and coach services and better road connections.