Gatwick by numbers
Gatwick became an aerodrome in the 1930s, but the airport we know today opened in 1958 with just 186,000 passengers passing through the airport in our first year of operation.
Today, it's a different story. We're open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and we now help take 42 million passengers to 220 destinations every year. We are now fast approaching capacity of 45 million, years ahead of predictions.
Who we are
Gatwick is the world’s most efficient single runway airport and the second largest airport in the UK. Uniquely, we're the successful home to the full mix of airline operators from scheduled to low-cost and charter airlines. Around 50 airlines operate regularly from the airport including British Airways, Cathay Pacific, easyJet, Emirates, Monarch, Norwegian Air, Thomas Cook, Thomson, Turkish Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and WestJet.
We are the biggest base for easyJet, one of Europe’s most successful airlines, and we're also home to key charter operations such as, Thomson and Thomas Cook.
We're also the airport with most connections to and from other UK regions, with significant numbers of passengers travelling on Flybe, easyJet and Aurigny.
In addition to the major long haul leisure operations of British Airways and Virgin, we are now seeing the emergence of long haul services to the Far East, with the arrival of Turkish Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Tianjin Airways. These complement the existing long haul services provided by airlines such as Emirates and Norwegian.
Gatwick Airport is owned by a group of international investment funds, of which Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) is the largest shareholder.
Our airlines and destinations
Gatwick has been competing vigorously since the change in ownership in December 2009. We have been winning new routes to the UK’s key trading partners and providing direct connections between London and high growth economies.
Since 2011, Gatwick has attracted new routes to Indonesia, Turkey, the USA, Canada and Central and South America. We continue to provide connections to closer destinations with new routes to Germany and Iceland recently announced and we have seen growth from some of our established carriers including easyJet and Norwegian Air Shuttle.
Other interesting facts you may not have known:
- Gatwick flies to more destinations than any other UK Airport (source: OAG data).
- Around 50 airlines use Gatwick serving approximately 220 destinations in 90 countries.
- EasyJet is Gatwick’s largest customer; they fly 42% of the total number of passengers at the airport.
- British Airways is the second largest carrier at Gatwick, accounting for 15% of passenger traffic.
- We serve 10 destinations within the UK.
Top international destinations
Top three UK/Channel Islands destinations
There are 143 stands in total at Gatwick Airport.
- 71 pier served stands split roughly 50:50 between each terminal
- 72 remote stands serviced by coaches
Aircraft movements in last financial year
(1 April 2014 – 31 March 2015)
- Total: 271,071
- 135,536 departures
- 135,535 arrivals
- Male 47%: Female 53%
- AB: 40.3%; C1: 42.4%; C2: 12.4%; DE: 4.9%
1 in 5 of our passengers are travelling on business
- UK Business 10 %
- UK Leisure 60 %
- Foreign Business 7 %;
- Foreign Leisure 24 %
Arrive at Gatwick by
- Car 36%
- Rail 34%
- Taxi/Minicab 15%
- Bus/Coach 8%
- Plane 5%
- Hire car 2%
- Number of runways: 1
- Runway length: 3,316m long by 45m wide
- Number of terminals: 2 - South (opened in 1958) and North (opened in 1988)
- South Terminal is 160,000 square metres of which 14,768 square metres is retail facilities
- North Terminal is 98,000 square metres of which 12,530 square metres is retail facilities
- We have 346 check-in desks. 187 in South Terminal and 159 in North Terminal. In addition, there are 69 self-service kiosks.
- Fast rail links to London: Just 28 minutes to London Bridge and 30 minutes to London Victoria
Employment and investment
- Gatwick provides around 21,000 on-airport jobs, of which around 2,500 are London Gatwick employees
- Gatwick provides a further 10,000 jobs indirectly
- We are mid-way through a £2.5 billion investment programme and have spent £1.2 billion so far. Since the change of ownership in December 2009, Gatwick has invested over £900 million in upgrading facilities for its customers.
Improvements made so far
- Created a new, £31 million South Terminal forecourt
- Introduced a new £45 million state-of-the-art South Terminal security area
- Extended the South Terminal departure lounge with an investment of £34 million
- Refurbished and improved the gate rooms and aircraft stands on Pier 2 with £40 million
- Invested £8 million improving the UK Border Zone and introduced dedicated lanes for passengers with young children and those with reduced mobility
- Invested £47 million on a new inter-terminal shuttle to deliver quick, convenient connections between both terminals
- Spending £180 million on knocking down and re-building Pier 1
- Created a £25 million new North Terminal interchange
- Invested £75 million extending the North Terminal creating more space for departing and arriving passengers with more self-service check-in options
- Invested £39 million in a new departures baggage system
- Improved the security search area with a £5 million investment to create more lanes to handle increasing passenger traffic, with more investment to come
- Invested £17 million in a new multi-storey car park with 1,177 new short stay parking spaces and a premium parking area
- Created six new large aircraft stands with a £40 million investment
- Opened the brand-new A380 stand in March 2013, making Gatwick A380 enabled.
- Opened the world's biggest self-service bag drop area.
We're proud of Gatwick Airport and our achievements. We've been working hard to improve every aspect of Gatwick since being made independent in December 2009, and we're delighted that some of our hard work is being recognised by external organisations. Don't think that we're resting on our laurels though - we're still working hard every day to give our passengers the best possible airport experience.
Carbon Trust Standard Triple Certification 2016
We are one of a small number of organisation to have been awarded triple certification to Carbon Trust Standard for reducing carbon emissions and water use, and improving waste management.
Investors in People Gold Standard (Iip) 2016
Gatwick was awarded Investors in People (IiP) status in 2013 and in 2016 we were awarded the highest level of award, jumping up three levels since 2013. IiP is a well-established, international framework that helps organisations to understand and improve how people contribute to the success of an organisation.
Biodiversity Benchmark 2014
We were awarded The Wildlife Trust’s Biodiversity Benchmark Award for the first time in December 2014. The Biodiversity Benchmark is a nationally recognised standard for commitment to biodiversity and responsible land management.
Business Travel Awards 2014
Best UK Airport
National Transport Awards 2013
Airport of the year
Digi CorpComms award 2013
Best use of digital media in customer services
RoSPA Occupational Health and Safety Awards 2013
Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Gold Award
British Parking Awards 2013
Exceptional customer service
Business Travel Awards 2013
Best UK airport
British Travel Awards 2012
Best UK airport
Travel Agents Choice Awards 2012
UK airport of the year
Simpliflying Awards 2012
Best airport in social media – highly commended
Moodies Awards 2012 , by the Moodie Report
Best mobile website – highly commended
Loo of the year 2012
Winner, transport sector (for our South Terminal toilets)
Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) Excellence Awards 2011
Best use of social media
Digi CorpComms Award 2011
Best use of digital media in customer services
Digital Impact Awards 2011
Best use of social media in a crisis
Simpliflying Awards for Excellence in Social Media 2011
Best airport in social media
CorpComs Awards 2011
Best rebranding exercise
British Air Transport Association (BATA)
Best airport over six million passengers 2011
Beautiful South Awards for Excellence 2011
Outstanding achievement award
Econsultancy Innovation Awards 2010
Innovation in online customer service